Table of Contents
‘Don’t like reading? Click to Listen’
Technology has changed the world tremendously. It has made our lives comfortable and easier. Tasks that used to take days to complete a few years back can now be completed in a matter of hours, and traveling is no exception.
One major trend that is shaping the future of the travel and tourism industry is travel mobile app development. According to stats, more than 85% of travelers use their smartphones to book travel activities. These statistics are expected to further increase in the coming years.
Today, we will be talking all about travel app development tips, features, and important things to know. Let’s dig into it.
What is the current status of the travel and tourism industry?
Smartphones have become the new revenue generating medium in the travel sector. Businesses that are investing in travel mobile app development are the only ones that are able to exploit the opportunities that the trend offers.
Also, as compared to others, these businesses are most likely to strive longer in the highly competitive market. Below mentioned are some important travel app statistics.
- According to Statista, in 2020, the travel and tourism market generated a revenue of US$711,944 million,.
- According to Statista, travel apps hold the 7th position in the most popular Apple app store categories in March 2021.
- Stats by Think with Google show, 58% travel apps are used at least monthly.
- According to stats, 80% travelers spend up to 4 weeks reading other traveler reviews and researching a destination.
- As per the findings of Think with Google, 45% of travel app users find trip status update notifications the most useful feature of a travel app.
6 useful features to consider when making a travel app
The advantages of travel app development are countless. However, the success of the app depends upon its features. Let’s have a look at 6 useful travel booking app features that you might want to consider including in your app.
1. Travel planning
Travel planning is one of the most essential tasks when it comes to planning a trip. However, at times it can be messy and time-consuming, you can forget stuff, and run into last minute inconveniences.
A travel planning feature in a travel app makes it convenient and easier to plan trips in an orderly manner. It allows users to search suitable destinations, schedule trips, and much more.
2. Navigation and maps
No one wants to get lost in a foreign land. Thanks to navigation and map features in mobile travel apps, finding destinations and locations has become much easier as compared to the traditional way of using paper maps for routes.
This feature has become quite common in all types of tourist friendly apps. In fact, travelers also feel more comfortable and safe using travel apps that feature map integrations.
3. Reviews and recommendations
Reading other travelers reviews and recommendations provide travelers the peace of mind that the location they are traveling to is worth it. Moreover, reviews are not only limited to locations, but also hotels, transports, hotels and other services.
Including a section in your app where people can read other traveler’s reviews and leave feedback themselves is a great travel booking app idea.
4. Expense tracking
One common issue that people usually run into while traveling is that they are not able to keep a proper track of their expenses. This usually results in them over-spending.
An expense tracking feature can be very useful. it allows travelers to spend within their budget. The feature is even more ideal for large traveling groups as they need more help in planning and monitoring travel expenses.
5. Currency converter
Imagine traveling to a foreign country and setting eyes on something that you must have, but are clueless about how much it would cost in your native currency. A lot of travelers tend to overestimate or underestimate the value of currency. Not only does this cause frustration but also makes one super conscious about budget management while spending.
Digital innovation in the travel industry has allowed the integration of currency converters in travel apps. A real-time currency converter would not only benefit the app-users but also app owners since more people would want to download the app because of this useful travel app feature.
6. Itinerary Planner
Managing all operations of the itinerary is probably one of the biggest hassles for travelers. Planning where to go, where to stay, and everything else related to the trip requires careful attention. Itinerary planner can help make this whole process much easier for travelers.
Users are required to input information about their trip, such as the places they want to visit. Once done, the itinerary generator automatically generates a travel plan that suits the requirements of the user.
You might also want to read: HOW MOBILE APPS ARE TRANSFORMING THE TRAVEL AND TOURISM INDUSTRY
How to Monetize a Travel App
Mobile app monetization allows app owners to earn money through their app. There are multiple methods that can be used to monetize travel apps. Let’s have a look at some of the most popular ways of monetizing a travel app.
- Advertising model. This is one of the most common methods to earn from your travel app. Under the advertising model, app owners can advertise relevant services on their app such as airlines, tour operators, hotels and more.
- Premium features. The app download itself would be free, and it would feature some basic features. However, to use the premium features, the users will need to pay a specific amount of money.
- Paid download. In order to download your app, users will be required to pay a fee.
- Subscription. To use the app users will be required to pay money on a monthly basis.
- Commission from booking. Affiliate commissions are a smart way to earn money through your travel app. If users use your app to book tickets, hotels etc. through your app you can charge a commission for the bookings and purchases.
If you own a travel business then you must consider developing a travel app to keep up with the rising competition. We hope that the above mentioned travel app development tips help you in developing your own travel app.
Looking for reliable travel app development services? Get in touch with InvoZone today.